Sunday 16 January 2011

Cleaning/Removing Rust From Chrome With Tin Foil

We recently sold one our daughters bikes on Ebay. It was in beautiful condition except for a few rust marks on the chrome handlbars.

I wanted to clean off the rust but wasn't sure how to do it. Back when I was a lad (in the late 60s) we'd get out the Brasso but I was sure there must be some better way to do it.

So, I turned to Google and, what should I find, but suggestions that you use tin foil.

That can't work ... can it?!

Well it did! Better, and easier, than I could imagine.

Here's what to do:

1) Get a small ball of ordinary household tin foil.

2) Wet the tin foil.

3) Lightly rub the rust with the tin foil ball.

4) Clean with a cloth.

That's it!

Obviously, the amount and depth of rust may mean that you don't receive the same amazing results that I did but it worth trying this on an unobtrusive part you wish to be cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment